Welcome to Year 5 2020-2021!
Hello. I hope that you are all well. Here you will find some information about Year 5.
- Mrs Rianne (Peacock class), Mr Davies (Blue Jay) and Miss Gee (Kingfisher class).
- On Thursday, Blue Jay class will be taught by Mrs Grates.
Teaching assistants and support staff:
- Ms Duckmanton, Mr Horne, Mr Gibbs and Miss Swatton.
Our topics this year are:
- Earth Matters (Exploring forest biomes and local, national and global environmental issues)
- Anglo-Saxons and Vikings (Looking at invasion, settlement and conflict. We will also contract this with the 'Golden Age of Islam.'
- Displaced peoples- refugees- including WW2.
Your child should have a PE kit in school Monday to Friday.
For the winter months, it is advisable to include leggings/tracksuit bottoms and trainers as we will do some PE sessions outside.
This year, each class will also be going swimming. You will receive a letter providing you with more information.
Year 5 Homework
Homework is set on Seesaw on a Friday. It would be fantastic if this is completed by Tuesday. Your child will receive maths and English homework that will mirror the learning taking place in lessons and provide an opportunity for your child to revisit and reinforce the skills and knowledge that they have been taught. Your child may also receive reading homework.
Please encourage your child to read daily at home. If you also have the opportunity to hear your child read to you- this is also highly beneficial.
Children are expected to read nightly and complete their reading records with examples of the structures we are focusing on in class and any new vocabulary.
Times Tables and counting
Please encourage your child to do a short (no more than 10 mins), daily practice on Times Table Rockstars or some counting on and back games. Quick recall supports children's calculation in all areas of the curriculum.